man -- display the on-line man pages
- Eight sections of the on-line manual
- 1 -- user commands
- 2 -- System Calls
- 3 -- C Library Functions
- 4 -- Devices and Special Files
- 5 -- File Formats and Conventions
- 6 -- Games, etc.
- 7 -- Miscellaneous
- 8 -- System Administration Tools and Daemons
- Distributions customize the manual section to their specifics, which often include additional sections.
- -S [section_list] -- list is a colon separated list of manual sections to search
- -f -- give very brief description of the command
- -k -- use a keyword to find name of command
- By default man uses less for displaying the pages, so refer to less for useful options
- Usage: man [command]